Wednesday, November 23, 2005

If I wasn't so nice, I would have known what to say...

Lately, people have really caught me off guard with their rude comments. Here are some of the best ones we've been told lately...

Brian: Hey everyone! Me and My wife are pregnant!
Office Lady at his former job: Great! Now everyone's insurance premiums are going to go up.

Later on in that week....

Office Lady at his former job: Hey Brian, the boss decided that he's only going to offer insurance for you. Your wife and baby will have to pay for their own.

A few months later...

Brian: I found another job.

**************************************

Set up: I was at one of my doctor's offices a few weeks ago meeting with the head doctor. It was a difficult meeting and to end on a positive note, I shared that I had just come off of maternity leave and that I was a new mom.

Dr. Rude: Oh! That's great! How old is she?
Me: Five months and she's beautiful and I already think she's a genius!
Dr. Rude: Is she drooling alot?
Me: Oh Yeah.
Dr Rude: She must be an idiot then.
Me: Uh no... Actually she's TEETHING.

What kind of a low life would joke around like that? I know that the proper response would have been.... "Well you're not drooling and you're an idiot." But I'm too polite! I don't think of these things until much later!

********************************************
Set up: At a dinner party. We didn't know some of the other guests. I was telling a story about how our beloved neighbors from across the street came over in their beautiful outfits that they wore to celebrate the end of the muslim holiday Ramadan and to share some food with us. Aimee threw up without warning and some of it got on one of the boys.

Host: Oh! Are they the boys that always ask if they can come over?
Me: yeah. They are so cute!
Guest we had just met: Maybe they are training to be suicide bombers.

The room fell momentarily silent in disbelief that the guy said something so stupid. In unison we turned to look at a guest who was also from that part of the world. The host quickly changed the subject.

**********************************************

So readers, is it wrong to pray for a quick tongue? How about for the presence of mind to know what to say right when this stuff happens?

3 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

Happy Thankgiving and loads of love.

Kristen said...

Aren't people weird? I think a look can do more than a snappy comeback at times.

Yoli said...

We all know I'm biased...especially after being exposed to my sharp tounge last week, but I think especially in situations where someone says something racist and offensive, it's important to put them in their place. Surprisingly, one can do this without being as ignorant. Remember, Jesus was really good at putting the Pharasies (sp) in their place....