Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Talk is cheap...or is it?

I guess I should explain why I was so upset about the anonymous comment leaver's seemingly harmless rude comment. (My rebuttal can be found in the comment section of the post about Remmy's hair).

Over the past year, I have been learning to be more careful about what I say. See, usually, you just don't know what people are going through in their lives and a harmless rude comment can really stick with a person who is going through something.

Brian and I are leading a young married couple's group and we are learning about communication. Words have a lot of power. What you say to each other can make or break your marriage, and any other relationship for that matter.

"Fools have no interest in understanding, they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

We all know someone like this. It is impossible to have a conversation with them, and they think they are always right. They usually judge other's harshly, and then call everyone else "judgemental" or "close-minded". I find it very difficult to have a relationship with someone that is like this, because they constantly say carelessly rude things that hit you like little arrows.


"A person's words can be life-giving water, words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook." Proverbs 18:4

There are ways to express your thoughts, feelings, and ideas when you don't agree with someone without making the listener feel bad. We are learning that disagreeing with your spouse can be a great thing for your marriage, that is, if you know how to share your ideas in a sensitive building up sort of way. Even disagreements can be like a drink of refreshing water in your relationship.

"Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life". Proverbs 18:21.

Be careful of what you say, because you can't take it back! Once it leaves your mouth, it's out there forever.

2 comments:

Yoli said...

Dang yo! I missed all the contraversy.

Lizzie W. said...

I like that. Unfortunately, I've removed all of people's doubts more than once!