Saturday, February 25, 2006

We have to do the work...

It should be no secret to anyone that knows us that Brian and I have treated our marriage like one of those beautiful old homes in disrepair that people buy and then spend years restoring to their original condition. I've said before that when we got married, we were well aware of the fact that we came into it with flaws, injuries from past relationships, and general brokenness. We've always been intentional about learning what mistakes we are making, uncovering the root, and learning a better way.

Since Aimee was born, I've decided to work on myself in the same way. It hasn't been easy to find balance, to put my marriage and my baby first without sacrificing my own needs. Maybe it's every mother's struggle.

When I started this blog, it was intended to be a way for me to document for Aimee what we were both like when she was a baby and as a way for me to open myself up in a more intimate way to friends and family. I do feel like you know me better as a result of this blog. I've given you access to my intimate thoughts, insecurities, joys, and sadness. Unfortunately, this blogging thing is a one way relationship.

The truth is that that I have neglected my friendships. Maybe this blog has turned into a way for me to make up for the lack of meaningful conversations I used to have with friends. Those conversations that would leave us examining our own lives and a week later, we'd come back and say, "Wow, I really thought about what you said last week and I've come to realize that...."

So, if you are a faithful reader and feel that you have come to know me better, I hope that you will take the time that you used to spend reading to call instead. I know I act like I'm all busy and stuff, but I'll make the time. Maybe you can tell me a little bit about your life too!

1 comment:

E. Michelle said...

I'll bet there are some people who are very happy about this blog... but I am so far away.