Friday, June 01, 2007

Reflections on the Suburban Life

Garage sales in my area are a blood sport. All of the fancy schmancy subdivisons that require that the residents pay hundreds of dollars in home owners association fees every month to cover the professional landscapers, private playgrounds, and pools have annual garage sales, and they are INSANE. For the first time in my life, I got up early with the intention of going to ONE garage sale. Brian and I begun searching for outdoor climbing toys for Aimee. These toys would cost hundreds of dollars new and are just as good used, so we decided that we'd try Craigslist and garage sales before sucking it up and hitting Toys R Us. On my way to the ONE garage sale I was going to check out, I saw it....the giant sign outside of Oakhurst North Subdivision...the one with the golf course: "ANNUAL COMMUNITY GARAGE SALE: FRI and SAT 9-3 pm"

I checked the clock. It was only 9:10 am. "SWEET!" I thought to myself, "No one will be there yet and I'll have first pick." As I turned into the subdivision, I became a part of the parade of minivans and SUV's lined up along the street. Giddy moms jumping out of their vans and shoving precious treasures into the back, Grandparents walking down the street with toys to put in their basements for when the kids come to visit, and kids screaming "I WANT THIS MOMMY!".

I played it smartly and only stopped where I saw the large outside toys I was looking for. A friend of mine really wants a wagon for her two boys and I found one. I asked the owner of the if the wagon was for sale. He told me it was, and as I walked back to see if it worked, a women cut me off and picked up the handle, so I calmly (but quickly) walked back to the owner and shoved $5 in his hand. "I"ll take it!" I walked back to the women and sheepishly said, "I'm sorry but I just bought that." My friend was really happy to get it.

The only other treasure I was able to find was a toddler picnic table with benches. This is one of the things that we REALLY wanted for her. They cost from $60-100 new and I got it for $7.

Yay for me!

1 comment:

Yoli said...

Right on sister! Way to not lower yourself to the tone of the mob. Hair pulling is so 80's.