Monday, March 03, 2008

It's Official

I'm going to Northern. And it makes me feel really old. The day before the shootings, I received my housing packet in the mail. I wasn't going to open it. I was going to take a picture of it and post it on my blog the next day to announce to everyone that I was going to go to school there. I was going to leave it out on the counter so that when Brian annoyed me, I'd point to the housing packet and say, "You know, I DO have other options."

Just about the time that my youngest sister, Stephanie (who is 9 years younger than me and 3 years older then my future classmates) is graduating, I will be starting school. That makes me feel old. I am receiving emails and informational pamphlets with pictures of really young kids on them. That makes me feel old too. I just received an invitation for an orientation luncheon for minority students. I would like to go because I really do need to get oriented to the campus and their services, but I'm worried that if I go, the other kids will think I'm one of the teachers-- which made me just realize that I will be older than some of my teachers. Ummm, Yeah. I am old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your not that old

stephanie said...

we can go shopping for new school clothes!!!!! you look young and thats all that matters. use latinos have the fountain of youth factor...we have the ability to look years younger than we really are.

remember the time you came with me on my orientation? all the parents were looking at you all crazy because you were OBVIOUSLY not a parent of a college freshman. so see, you are young!

Yoli said...

Walking around the U of C campus...and even walking around the Bloomington campus when I was still a supervisor for the library there made me feel old, and I'm SO NOT. The kids get younger and younger every year. You might meet someone around your age at the thing, or a relate-able young mom. Schools not just for kids in their early 20's dude.