Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Let's talk weight loss

I stopped going to my Weight Watcher's meetings in February because I momentarily (for like 6 weeks) felt like going crazy. I gained back 8 pounds, but I'm not going to cry about it now. I kind of enjoyed every calorie I put in my mouth and now I'm over it. I went back to WW 2 weeks ago and found that my meeting had a new leader. I have been to lots of different locations and seen lots of leaders (maybe 10) and I've never seen a leader that wasn't a grandparent until now. Not only is the new leader totally NOT a grandparent, she is totally hot. I'm talking skin tight black dress paired with shiny, pointy, red, knee-high boots hot. All hotness aside, she is also kind of annoying in that energetic cheerleader at a funeral kind of way. But she is hands down the best leader I've ever had. I would even say that I love her.

Let me give you an idea of what the WW meetings are like. You walk in, hand the receptionist your little card where you log your weight and step on a scale. The scale has a little display box sitting on the registration desk where only the person sitting at the desk can see your weight. They write your weight down on your little card and then you go into the meeting room. If it is your first week at WW, you are shocked at the number of people that weigh 125 lbs that struggle with weight issues and you are relieved to not be the fattest or thinnest person in the room. The leader gives a short talk about that week's topic. The talks are always very helpful, but it isn't like therapy or anything. They are usually very clinical. This week's talk was about emotional eating. Hot girl did such a good job that here it is, 5 am on a Wednesday, and I can't sleep because I'm thinking about why I'm overweight.

WW is all about control. You control what you eat, how much of it, and when you eat it. It's not a rigid diet. It's a system to help you understand how you should be eating to be healthy. Control isn't really hard, but it takes a lot of effort. Usually, when I'm following the plan I feel in control of my life. I would even say I feel happier. (To be read in a whiney voice) SO WHY DOES IT FEEL SO DIFFICULT?

Food has been just about everything for me except for what it should be. At WW we talked about using a tool called, "Reframing" which basically means, changing the way you think. That is probably the hardest part about a weightloss journey. Every holiday, every stressful situation, every moment of boredom is an opportunity to go back to old behaviors. This weight loss battle is like a spiritual struggle for me. I go back and forth and sometimes I feel overwhelmed by it. For now, I'm going to take on the attitude that I did this weekend with the closet cleaning. I don't really want to do it, but I'll do it anyway and feel better about it when it's done.

4 comments:

Oswald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yoli said...

Funny how the best things for us are sometimes...most times...the hardest to do or stick with. BUT I've seen a marked improvement in your motivational and "following through" skills. Si se puede!!

Aida said...

no te preocupes. Being a mom doesnt mean u need to lose the "baby" weight so quick. Just try & let it go little by little, 1pound at a time.. When you're feeling tempted or just plain hungry, grab a lil' snack bag of almonds. It works for me! (and we know almonds are healthy!) **

E. Michelle said...

I usually need inspiration to lose weight. do you have inspiration/?