Sunday, August 03, 2008

Daughters

Last night Brian and I went to my brother in law's engagement party, hosted by his fiance's parents.

It was something to behold. The amount of time, care, and attention to detail that was put into this family party was an act of love.

It was held at her parents home. It started with coctails and appetizers in their beautiful patio garden. They played a "newlywed's" type game and then had some questions for the guests where we got to hear funny stories about their childhood. It was a great icebreaker. (I love me some ice-breakers).

Dinner was served in an unbelievably decorated tent that was put up in the yard. It was like scene out of a movie. No detail was spared. Candlelight, flower arrangements, even the plates were decorated by hand. It was visually stunning.

Her family was warm and funny.

It made me think of my wedding. When Brian and I were getting married, I didn't care about the details of the wedding at first. We were both so in love (still are), that the details didn't seem to matter, and I would have been happy with a pot luck in the church basement. All I cared about was having our loved one's celebrate with us. My mom encouraged us to have a big fancy wedding. She suggested the banquet hall and even helped pay the difference. I had a hard time understanding why she would want to invest that kind of money into an *evening*. Now that I have my own daughter, I understand.

Your love for your children doesn't change from the first love you experience the first days that you hold them in your arms and see their perfection. It just keeps adding layers ontop of layers. Most of us girls dream of our wedding day at some point in our lives, and my mom wanted me to have that dream. She didn't want me to look back on the most important day of my life wishing I had done it differently. Maybe that's why since the beginning of time, mother's of the bride are so involved in their daughter's wedding. And the Brides are all like, "OMG, my mother is CRAZY! You think SHE was the one getting married! All I want is a bucket of chicken and my MAN, but all my mom talks about is prime rib." Then those brides have their daughters and not only do they UNDERSTAND...they eventually BECOME their mothers. I hope to one day honor my daughter the way my mother honored me and Beth's parents honored her last night.

Paul and Beth, Brian and I wish you a magical engagement, a beautiful wedding, and a lifetime of happiness. The stress is worth it, the money is worth it, and a lot of times, giving into your mother's wishes is worth it too.

5 comments:

stephanie said...

hmmm that was cute and all but i know that no matter who i marry there will NOT be a bucket of chicken at my reception.

oh and i already decided you are going to be my wedding planner. and you better believe im going to be bridezilla.

love you!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo making Robin read this blog because then she will realize why I'm so crazy when she is getting married.

Anonymous said...

Amen Love, Mom W

Lunatic Biker said...

My nephew Paul said I can phone this one in as long as our wedding gift is large enough. I'll see if Father Jim (long story) is available for the ceremony.

Yoli said...

Well, unlike Steph Lord knows it will probably be like pulling teeth to get me to want anything bigger than dinner at the Goose Island Brewery for my wedding. BUT after reading this blog, I'll have to have more grace than I did for my college graduation. It's not just about the couple, it's about friends and family.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if I'll be invited to Steph's....