Wednesday, December 03, 2008

SUCKS!

So Yoli (my sister) had her wallet stolen today. You can read about it on her blog. It made me think of how much it sucks to have your stuff taken from you. It can affect you in ways that you don't expect. Share your own experiences in the comments section if you like. Misery loves company.

It's happened to me a few times.

1. I was a freshman at Purdue. I was President of a Latino student organization. I had put together an amazing party as a fund raiser for the group and to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month. I had been at the party location all day and I took all my stuff to get ready for the party in my nice Eddie Bauer backpack. I tucked my bag in a cabinet in the bathroom thinking, "Hey! I know most of the these people! No one would take something that wasn't theres anyway right?" WRONG. Items Lost: Some clothes, a new bottle of Estee Lauder perfume, all my make up, the nicest backpack I ever owned. I couldn't believe that someone that I probably knew would do that to me. It still stings a little when I think about it.

2. I was working for a health insurance company. I was a community relations manager and I did a lot of charitable work in the inner city. It was Christmas time. We were doing "Free Pictures with Santa". Someone broke into my car. Items Lost: The Santa suit and my work bag with a cute little album with my wedding pictures in it. It makes me angry when I think about that cute little photo album.

3. Working for the same insurance company. I was invited to join an coalition of organizations that help ex-cons reintegrate into society. I was at their annual meeting. Someone broke into my car while three guys on their lunch break watched. They came out to tell me what had happened, no one thought to call the cops. Items Lost: My brand new car radio that I had JUST received for Christmas from Brian. A large collection of CD's, and my work pager. (They tried to get me to pay for it.) Ironic.

I'm sorry Yoli. It's a terrible feeling to realize that someone has violated you by taking your stuff.

PS.... Where is the secret service when you need them? Isn't Hyde Park supposed to be like the safest place in the nation next to the White House now?

3 comments:

Yoli said...

Oh Lizzie, I've never had my wallet stolen before today. Someone stole cash from my gym locker one time, but they left the wallet behind. It sucked to lose the money, but at least I didn't have to replace almost my entire existence. Of course this would happen right before I leave town for my break! Oh well. It could have been much worse.

In response to your PS: I was on the wrong side of the tracks. Literally.

stephanie said...

soo true! my camera was stolen two years ago in madrid. that was pretty sad.

Ben said...

I had a bible stolen from me in college (really).

I had loaned my backpack to a friend and it had my bible in it. He somehow managed to lose the backpack. Well, the backpack was turned in, but the bible was gone.

I always thought it was ironic and that maybe the thief would return it after reading it. They didn't.