Thursday, August 11, 2005

Making my world a brighter place...

Two very special people in my life had birthdays this week. My sister Yoli turned 24 and my Dad-in-law is 49-ish (?).

We had a quiet celebration for my father-in-law over the weekend. He came over with plans to go shopping with Brian for his gift at this store in the area called Farm N' Fleet. I guess it's kind of like a wal-mart, only it specializes in stuff for farmers, and then to Bobaks for lunch. (It's the best polish buffet around...). Those plans got shot down when Aimee decided to sleep in her Grandpa's arms all day long. He didn't have the heart to put her down, so Brian went to the grocery store and we grilled everything and anything that could be grilled. It was literally a quiet celebration, we whisper-sang Happy Birthday so we wouldn't disturb the sleeping beauty, and he blew out the candle on his little cake with her on his shoulder. It was really sweet.
I really love my in-laws and I'm glad to be a part of the family...

I wasn't able to celebrate with Yols, she's about 4 hrs away, but I sent her a gift and thought of her all day. She's visiting this weekend so I'll be glad to see her.

Maybe she doesn't know this, but I'm really proud of her. It's not because she's graduating this year, or because she's held her own for the past 2 years supporting herself, or because she's been working out lately and has broken the "Gutierrez/Maldonado Curse of the Big Booties". I'm proud of her because I love her. Plain and Simple.

I think back to 24 and I was just coming out of a quarter-life crisis. I was out-of-my-mind crazy for a good 2 years I think. Trying to find direction for adult life is a stressful thing, and at 22-25 you sometimes feel like you have to figure it out RIGHT NOW. Sister, let me tell you that your whole world can change in a second.

My best advise to you is this... "Offer yourself as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will". (Romans 12:1-2)

You have a lot of decisions to make pretty soon. May God pour his blessings like fragrant oil over your life my dear sister.

No comments: