Thursday, August 11, 2005

Who Defines Success?

Senior Year I was chosen by my classmates as "Most Likely to Succeed". I'm not sure why they thought that someone that ranked 24 in a class of 200 had a better chance of succeeding than say the valedictorian, or even the saludatorian. I've always wondered what they expected of me. What would I have to achieve to be successful in their eyes?

When I look back at the past 10 years since high school graduation, my life hasn't necessarily taken the path I thought it would. And after all of these years of wondering if I'll ever be successfull enough to live up to their expectations, I can say that I don't care what they think anymore. My life is great and I am blessed.

*My husband is a man that loves me like Christ loves the Church.
*I have a healthy beautiful daughter.
*I have an amazing support system of family, friends, and church family
*God is constantly healing and restoring me, bringing me closer to the potential he has in mind for me.

Anyway, these days just surviving each day seems like a success of great proportions. The demands a newborn makes of her mother are overwhelming. Each night when Aimee goes to sleep I feel like a world champion for having taken care of her with energy, patience, and love.

I don't know if that's enough to satisfy the expectations of the class of 1995, but for today, it's enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They knew something you didn't liz. I think they saw your spark.