Sunday, December 11, 2005

Dear Yoli and Stephanie

Sorry for trying to kill your patriotism when you were in elementary school.

Sorry for telling you that Abraham Lincoln owned slaves.

For the "This land is NOT your land! This land is NOT my land! This is the Native American's land and the British STOLE it!" tirade when you were learning that song in choir.

and I'm especially sorry for the "I'm not His-panic or Her-panic, or anybody elses panic, I'm Latina!" line. (Mostly because Stephanie reminds me of it about every 3 months).

Not that you didn't need to learn it, but maybe I could have waited until you were at least in the fourth grade or something.

That's all.

2 comments:

Yoli said...

I didn't take any of that crap seriously until at leat Freshman year of college Lizzie. I made more fun of you than not too. So I'm sorry about that. Turst me, I became this synical about the government more on my own.

Yoli said...

Oh! And Woody Guthrie, the author of "This Land Is..." wrote it with the same sentiment that you are apologizing for. No one ever hears the ADDITIONAL lyrics that talk about how unfair it was that we killed everyone with smallpox blankets. Look it up sometime. You were being just as patriotic as he was.