Wednesday, April 04, 2007

To my Republican friends...I love you, I just don't understand you.

** Instead of just complaining about it, I actually sent a copy of this to the Congresswoman via email. I included another paragraph that you will find at the end of this post.

I was part of a teleconference townhall meeting with our congresswoman last night. So depressing. Basically, the congresswoman (Judy Biggart) is on the phone and everyone who wants to ask her a question gets "in line" by pressing the pound sign, then gets to ask her a question. Lots of things were discussed. Mostly people congratulating her and telling her that the war isn't going that badly and how the liberal left media makes it look like the war is really worse than it is. (Vet's and their families will probably disagree).

The thing that really got me fired up was her stand on Immigration. People called in to say that all illegals should be sent back and she whole heartedly agreed and then said that Congress would NEVER consider a bill that would help the 12 million undocumented workers (she called them illegals) earn the right to citizenship and that they all NEED to go back. I wonder if the good intelligent people of this district have considered the sheer economic impact that wiping out an entire work force would have on this country? I wonder if they have thought about the thousands of manufacturing pants that would grind to a halt? The livestock that would die and rot right there in their holds? The produce that would rot in the fields and the seeds that would go unplanted? While it seems that the majority of republicans are so against a plan to help undocumented workers become legalized they seem to forget that many business owners are Republicans too, and that their businesses couldn't run without the people that are willing to work for them. Fine the business owners? Fine them for what? For offering competitive pay and benefits and not being able to find legal labor because no one wants to work long and dirty hours? Fine them for having their hands tied and either shutting down their business or turning a blind eye?

By the way, Ms. Biggert, I do not believe that a Republican congress would ever address this issue. The agricultural industries are too powerful and they would suffer too much. I do believe that Republicans will use this as another hot button issue to get conservatives to vote and then do nothing, as you have done to end abortion, fix social security and medicare, and the Iraq war.

The tide is turning Judy Biggart and I will NOT be voting for you. (I didn't include this part in my email. That would have been just rude.)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Liz I agree with this so much and its funny b/c I went into college thinking I was a republican mainly for religious beliefs only and now because of my liberal major (social work), you sister, and many other things. I am so a democrat. Anyways i was ranting about some political thing the other night at dinner and said "I really only care about children getting health insurance, who cares we have about illegal immigrants!" Well my republican sister in law did not agree...

Lizzie W. said...

Yeah...I live in a really Republican county with mostly republican friends. I am pro-life and all of that and at times I've been tempted to let that influence my voting behavior. This year, I realized that you just CAN'T legislate morality just like you can't force anyone into a relationship with God. You have to love them into it. It seems like the key to end abortion is to provide support to women that end up with crisis pregnancies, not just limit their options and take money away from public programs that help them deal with the issues that make them want to consider abortion.

Thanks for your comment. You always have smart thoughtful things to say.

Yoli said...

Lizzie and Em, HERE HERE!!! I feel you sister. Thanks for your intelligent comments!

Anonymous said...

WORD, all the way, especially in the comments section.