Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This gives me hope!

As you may have noticed from the last few months of blog entries, I have been really worried about the immigration crisis and have been returning to one of my first loves, politics. In the past, I liked listening to the Moody Bible Institute radio station, as I find a lot of the programs to be really inspiring, but I've really come to HATE certain aspects of their programming.

For starters, their news service is so obviously partisan and slanted to the right that it puts Fox News to shame. Secondly, James Dobson really gets on my nerves with what he chooses to support in politics. Thirdly, the last time I listened to a national issues segment in their afternoon talk program they had a guy on who was making a case AGAINST universal healthcare and no one to rebut his arguments. Hmm....last I heard we were commanded to take care of our poor, the widows, and the orphans, buddy.

I've grown fearful of listening to that station in the mornings for fear that I'm going to hear someone talk about how all those "Illegals" are breaking the law and therefore should be shipped back to their countries. ...Followed by a request for the shoes you are planning on throwing away to send to those poor little brown kids in Latin America.

Anyway, this morning Aimee and I drove somewhere really early and my sleepiness made me forget that it was too early to turn on Moody Radio, when all of a sudden, I heard it, the story I didn't want to hear on Moody Radio. The one about immigration. And it almost made me cry.

The story was about how over 100 leaders from many denominations of Christianity, many of them staunch conversative republicans had formed a coaliton called Christians for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. The coalition is calling for humanitarian border security, the reunifications of families that have been torn apart by deportation, and a compassionate path to citizenship and employment. The radio hosts commented on how amazing it was to see several conservative christian leaders actually working with Senator Kennedy.

This is what America is about. People of different values and ideas working with each other for the good of humanity, not working against each other for fear of what could happen "if the other side wins". My prayer is that the denominations involved will encourage their local churches to preach on this issue and that the faith community at large will grow more supportive.

To read todays article in the washington times go to:
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20070507-112349-9370r.htm

One more thing. My old school, Purdue University, named a new president yesterday. For the whole university. Her name is France Cordova. She's an astrophysicist, a woman, and a LATINA. The president that was in office when I went there was once quoted in the newspaper calling Latinos "wetbacks". Umm..that's Madame President to you, sir.

No comments: