Thursday, July 12, 2007

They found a way to get to me

Our neighborhood Dominick's grocery store has undergone a major transformation. I'm going to assume that all of their stores are doing the same thing, but since I only know what MY Dominick's is doing, I'll describe it for you just in case your Dominick's hasn't transformed yet. Dark mood lighting, fancy hardwood floors, a wood burning oven for baking bread, take home meals like what you'd find at Whole Foods, and an outrageous number of fancy looking sample tables in every aisle during the evening rush hour. Brian says that they are trying to look like a Whole Foods.

None of these gimmicks have really gotten my attention enough to make me want to go there on a regular basis because I know that I'll get a lot more groceries for my buck at the ethnic grocery store than I ever will at Dominick's. Not even the outrageously low price of $1.99 for Rainier cherries (they usually run for 6-7$ a pound) or the rock bottom offer of 4 huge boxes of my favorite breakfast cereals for $6 was enough to turn me into a fan. But earlier this week they got me. An emergency doughnut craving that I had been fighting for days made me stop in at the store for 1 or 2 of their bakery doughnuts and what did I find? Small cute pink pastry boxes for all to pack their bakery items in. No extra charge, free for everyone.

Dang you DOMINICK'S! YOU GOT ME!

2 comments:

E. Michelle said...

i totally know this feeling, LIZ!
i used to go to Dominick's all the time before, i stand no chance now.
I just LOVE grocery shopping and want it to be as nice as possible. silly!

Anonymous said...

Liz,
The Dominicks in Wheaton on Geneva is the same. I thought there was a problem with the lighting at first. I swore I'd never go back to a Dominicks due to the way they handled the Glendale Heights store closing. At the least I expected a letter from them apologizing for closing the store and asking me to drive the extra miles to continue shopping at Dominicks. I know they've got our address, we get enough junk mail and propaganda from them and we use their savings card.
Dad