Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Not a moment too soon...

Having Daniel so soon after having Aimee has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage: Aimee is too cute when she comforts him with her limited vocabulary.
Disadvantage: In her baby vocabulary she'll tell me "No hold baby Daniel. Baby Daniel crib. Carry me mommy."
Disadvantage: I thought it would be tacky to have another babyshower, leaving us scrambling at the last minute for baby boy clothes and other gender sensitive items.
Advantage: Lots of friends passing down their almost new boys clothes to us.
Advantage: We are still young and energetic enough to deal with two kids under the age of 3.
Disadvantage: We are the only 30 year olds we know that like to go to bed before 8:30 pm.
Advantage: Everyone is in diapers.
Disadvantage: Everyone is in diapers.
Advantage: A lot of Aimee's toys are still new enough and in good enough condition for Daniel to use.
Disadvantage: Daily outings to the library, zoo, and children's museum have pretty much stopped.
Advantage: Several people I used to call "acquaintances" have become "good friends", since they have been a great deal of support to me.

Most people that I know, even the ones that know how bad some of our bad days have been, are all marveling at how well I'm doing. They comment that they can't believe that my house is clean, that I'm making home cooked meals, and that I try to look put togather, even when I spend the day in the clothes I slept in.

I'm not saying that this transition from one child to two has not been hard. It's been really hard. But even though we've had some rough moments, I can't stop thinking about how incredibly blessed we are, to have this beautiful child become part of our family. He is truly beautiful. He is. And even though a lot of his clothes and all of his toys have been handed down to him, my love for him is not a hand me down. It is fresh and new, created in a space in my heart that belongs only to him. And if anyone dares tell me that I had him too soon, or that I should have waited another year, they are ignorant fools, because my baby Daniel didn't come one moment too soon. I couldn't have waited another minute for him.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

advantage: we FINALLY get a boy in the family!!!!!

disadvantage: he'll grow up around a lot of loud women.

i'm excited about thursday!!! time to give the babies to mom and chiquea me!!!!