Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Pride

Today I voted for...

The military vets who have sacrificed life and limb. The men who committed their lives to fighting a war that began under lies and false pretenses, who trusted their government to provide them with basic protective gear and who didn't receive it. The guys who came home injured to a system that fails them and doesn't provide them with the care to deal with their injuries. I voted for a change in that system.

The working families that struggle to make ends meet and to fill their gas tanks and refrigerators, while the establishment continues to give incentives to big oil companies who have made record profits in a year when american families have had record losses. I voted to not give them any more breaks and to make them accountable for the resources they take from american soil and do not pay for.

The hundreds of elderly people that I personally met while I worked for the insurance companies that could not afford to buy both groceries and blood pressure meds. I voted to create a system that actually delivers on the promises that SS and Medicare made when they were paying all those taxes for the years that they worked.

The thousands of women that are faced with the decision to abort a child because they don't have insurance to cover maternity costs or a living wage to support the child. I voted to end abortion by addressing the root causes, one baby at a time.

The innocent men and women who have been tortured and jailed in secret prisons without the right to fight for their freedom. Habeus Corpus is a human right.

The constitution that has been the foundation of our society. The strength of our nation. I voted for an administration that will respect the constitution and the american people.

Today I voted for Barack Obama.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

you go liz. i did all that in september! woohoo. im excited to see who's going to win!

Yoli said...

My history professor was a killjoy this morning. He was all, "I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Vicente Fox." when THE ENTIRE class was a buzz with election comments.

Anyway, go Dems.

Emily said...

I loved this! I am nervously excited right now....

Anonymous said...

That's my girl.
I can help but notice that although the final announcement hasn't been made, this election has already made a change. In past elections no one, no way, would tell you who they voted for, specially public figures on national T V, now no one seemed to have any problem revealing their choice and I might be wrong but I can sense that feeling of pride and privilege of being able to make a change. Yes, I too voted for Obama

E. Michelle said...

it is a new world. peace!

Anonymous said...

In did!! a new world that for most of Us represent not only a fresh start, but also hope of a better leadership that provide a new prospective for the young generation.
If you notice, because this victory U S already started to gain back international confidence.
Now we need to pray that President Obama and all the leaders seek wisdom From the Lord because is the only way they will prevail