Sunday, December 14, 2008

Finals Week- Test 2

I went to Starbucks to study today. The library was closed until 1 pm, so I went to the next logical place.

I'm sitting there deep in concentration when I notice from the corner of my eye a 9 yr old boy staring at me while he was waiting for his hot chocolate. I mean *really staring*. I look up and smile at him. He looks at me for a second, looks away, and then wanders a little closer to me. This scene is repeated 3 more times until he's finally 3 feet away from my table. I finally break the awkward silence by asking him very nicely, "Um...is there something you want to know?"
He breaks a smile and fires away this series of questions, "Are you doing homework? Are you in High School or College? (God bless his heart) Is it hard?" So I answer his questions and try to explain what Logic means.

Now let me give you a some more info before I tell you this next part.

We are at a Starbucks. He's ordering Hot Chocolate. At Starbucks. In this economy. He's 9. His mom and Grandmother are buying expensive coffee gifts. He is very well spoken.

So then he says, "I'm in tutoring right now because my mom has made a lot of mistakes in life and I hear homework just gets harder and harder."

Right when he says that his mother and Gma come around the corner and they engage me in a really nice conversation, apologize for the interruption and leave.

I know that may not *sound* funny, but it really was, and the Starbucks Barista's who watched the entire thing agreed with me.

I came home after 5 hours of studying to a jubilant celebration from Aimee and Daniel. They were very happy to have spent time with Daddy, but they missed me too and it was nice to get a happy greeting.

THEN, a good friend performed an amazing act of kindness and generosity by bringing over 3 square meals. THREE. Aimee and Daniel, who were offered up their Dad's special grilled cheese and bolognia sandwiches for dinner, were very glad for it, indeed.

A much needed GREAT DAY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Story! Don't knock the Bologna and Cheese sandwhiches, they're scrumptious!