Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Three

Latinos say that bad things happen in three's. (Do other people say that too?) When one really bad thing happens, people usually brace themselves for the 2nd and 3rd. And the evidence that this saying is true can usually be produced when a bad thing or two happens to the people around you. I know it's silly superstition. But these few weeks have softened the little part of my heart that is logical and cynical about these things.

I won't go into details about the bad things that have happened to us and those around us lately. If you are close to us, you probably know of at least 1 or 2. So as we see those around us become victims of life's sadness and we enter into that fraternity along with them, I've made an observation that I think is worth sharing.

As I have become both the bearer and recipient of bad news over the past few weeks I've seen a pattern. When someone has to give bad news, there is usually a seconds-long hesitation. Like the person speaking stops to think to themselves, "I can't believe I have to say this". And when someone makes that little pause, if you are the listener, you can feel it coming. You steel yourself for the bad news to come and wait for it. If you are giving the bad news, When the words finally form in the back of your mouth and escape through your lips with a little puff of air, you can almost feel your soul climb out of your chest and vaporize with those words.

The Bible is SO right about the spoken word. That part about having the power to build and to destroy? Yeah, it's true.

I could never understand the "sweep it under the rug" people. Those people that pretend that nothing is ever wrong. I have to admit that I'm starting to get it. Words are really powerful. When we speak it into our lives, we validate that it's real. In this growing up process, I don't want to sweep things under the rug. I want to accept reality, without becoming an "only happy when it rains" type of person either. (It's SOO easy to become that! I think I used to be one!)
I need words in my life right now. I need the kind that have the healing and rebuilding power. Not the other kind. Even if sweeping it under the rug is easier.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Love you guys! Stay real and stay strong.